Monday, March 18, 2013

DIY Lotion Bars

My daughter has had patchy dry skin since she was a baby.  I have used all kinds of lotions and creams and none work very well, or for very long. I also don't like putting lotion on her skin that is full of chemicals, when I know there are natural alternatives. I have been reading about lotion bars for a while now, so I decided to make some of my own.  I used two Altoids tins I had been saving, as I couldn't find any of the molds that I own, of course. Here is what I used to make them.

1/2 c Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
1/2 c Pure Beeswax
Essential oil of your choice (my choice was lavender)


Get your stuff together!

Some methods I have seen call for using a double boiler.  I did not, I just used a sauce pan on low heat. Add your coconut oil and beeswax to the pan. Since I just had a block of beeswax, I simply grated it, measured it, and added it to the pan. Add your essential oil.  I used lavender, and about 15 drops.  You can chose any oil you like or combination of oils.  You can also add more oil if you like the scent stronger.  When making this again I would probably add more than 15 drops, but that's just my personal preference.


In the pot!

Melt it all together over very low heat. Mine took about 10 minutes.


All Melted


Set up your clean tins, molds, containers, or whatever you are using, and pour the mix in.


Bonus!



I decided I would have enough to fill an old lip balm tube I had been saving for just such a day, so I filled that up too. It turned out to be exactly the perfect amount for both the tins and the lip balm.



Perfect!

Let them sit and cool completely before using. When they are ready, just rub it and let the heat of your hand melt it slightly.  Then, rub it in wherever you need some lotion! That's it! Easy, cheap, and completely natural.


Finished tin






















No comments:

Post a Comment